Saturday 30 August 2014

easy banana cupcakes



This must be one of the easiest banana cake I have ever baked. I adapted the recipe from a banana cake which I posted way back when I first started baking and blogging.



I didn't want to make a full size cake so I halved the recipe and turned them into cupcakes. I had also taken the liberty to replace some of the ingredients with whatever I had on hand and kept my fingers crossed that the cupcakes would at least be edible!



I filled 12 small paper cases with batter almost to the brim and all of them rose beautifully upon baking and none had batter spilled over, phew! The batter was not as thick and I had expected some overflow but all went well :)



Making these little banana cakes is almost like making a batch of muffins. There is no creaming of butter or beating eggs with a mixer. Everything is done with ease, a few quick stir here and there is all that is required.



These easy banana cupcakes are really very good, I didn't expect the recipe to be so forgiving. The crumbs are tender, moist and filled with banana flavour. It is very satisfying and rewarding to be able to bake something on a whim with whatever available and especially when the bakes turn out delicious and are well received. Well, to me, there's the wonder and joy of baking...putting separate elements together to create wonderful feelings and moments to treasure.




Banana and Chocolate Chips Cupcakes

Ingredients:
(makes 12 cupcakes)
size of paper case 43mm(base diameter) x 60mm(top diameter) x 39mm(height) 

150g plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
pinch of salt
1 large egg
100g caster sugar
45g vegetable oil
60ml fresh milk
200g mashed banana (about 2 medium size bananas, use over ripped ones)
40g mini chocolate chips

Method:
  • Position a rack in the middle of the oven. Preheat oven to 180 degC. 
  • In a bowl, stir together plain flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
  • In a mixing bowl, with a balloon whisk, whisk the egg until blended. Add in the sugar, vegetable oil and milk, whisk to combine.
  • Add the dry ingredients in 3 batches alternately with the mashed bananas, and stir with the balloon whisk * until just blended. Do not over mix. (*note: for ease in mixing, change to a spatula at the last addition of dry ingredients.)  
  • Add the mini chocolate chips, fold with spatula to just combined.
  • Spoon batter into paper muffin cases. Arrange filled muffin cases on a baking tray.
  • Bake for 25mins or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean. Remove from oven, let cool on a wire rack. Store in airtight container at room temperatures for 2-3 days.


11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can I know if the bananas need to be mashed till smooth? I baked muffins many times and on the second day, it somehow became sticky on the surface? Is this normal? I usually leave it till cooled before storing. Ade

Unknown said...

Wow delicious...

Happy Homebaker said...

It is not necessary to mash till smooth. Yes it is normal for the surface to feel sticky when bakes such as butter cakes, pound cakes or muffins are left over night.

Unknown said...

I reckon the sticky surface is due to sugar content in the batter was too much?

Happy Homebaker said...

Yes sugar will draw moisture plus our humid weather the surface tends to become sticky. Also if the liquid content is high or the cake is underbaked.

Unknown said...

Yum! The muffins look delicious! Seems like a perfect on-the-go breakfast! :D

Kimmy said...

I have bookmarked several bakes using bananas. I'll add this one too. Looks so moist and soft.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your advice. I doubled up the recipe and had 11 jumbo size muffins. I will try to bake this a bit longer say 3-5 mind more the next time. Ade

Anonymous said...

I was looking for a banana muffin recipe and stumble your blog. Inspire me to do more baking and cooking for my kids :) Thanks for sharing... CL

Siv - A World in My Oven said...

Ooh, I love banana (cup)cakes! Especially when the smell fills the house just after you bake them and open the oven - mmmmm! I'm going to try these first thing tomorrow, with raisins, cuz everything tastes better with raisins ;)

Unknown said...

was looking for a banana muffin recipe and stumble your blog. Inspire me to do more baking and cooking for my kids :) Thanks for sharing bachelorette cakes