Wednesday 2 September 2015

Mango Salad, two ways



I have a few large mangoes which although taste sweet but they are not that juicy and the flesh is quite firm. Usually we prefer to eat mango on its own, but this time, I used some to make salad.





I used to feel intimidated about making salad dressing, especially vinaigrettes. Ever since I started to add more greens to my diet, I have more opportunities to play around with different types of dressings. I like dressings that is not too sour so I like to add some honey to sweeten it. I also tend to prefer asian salad dressings which usually includes fish sauce or soya sauce and sesame oil...seasonings which I always have on hand.




For this mango salad, I mixed up a refreshing Thai style dressing that tastes spicy, sweet and sour.



This salad is great as a side dish,


and it can be transformed into a light and healthy lunch simply by adding some pan grilled chicken breast.



I don't mind having this for lunch everyday ;)

ps: pardon the poor quality image of the above photos, they were taken with my mobile phone.


Mango Chicken Salad

Ingredients:

1 large mango
half of a boneless, skinless chicken breast (about 150g)
a handful of cherry tomatoes
a handful salad greens
1 Japanese cucumber
some chili slices, optional
some cilantro, optional
1~2 teaspoons cooking oil

for the dressing:
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
1 tablespoon fish sauce
1 tablespoon honey (adjust according to taste)
1~2 teaspoons sweet chili sauce (adjust according to taste)


Method:
  • Slice chicken breast in half crosswise, season with some salt and pepper. Pan fry chicken breast with cooking oil on medium-high heat till cooked and nicely browned. Set aside to cool and then cut into bite size.
  • Wash and drain salad greens.
  • Wash and cut cherry tomatoes into halves, cut mango and cucumber into cubes.
  • Whisk the dressing ingredients together in a bowl, add more chili sauce or honey according to taste.
  • Toss salad greens, tomatoes, mango, cucumber and chicken with the dressing, garnish with chili slices and cilantro. Serve immediately.

4 comments:

What's Baking?? said...

Tropical salad is always very appetizing. Yums

PH said...

Your salad looks so delicious and it is so colorful! There is nothing wrong with your photos. They are gorgeous. I looked at them a few times because the salad is so pretty!

Happy Homebaker said...

Hi Phong Hong, thanks for your kond words, it is indeed a very colorful dish :)

krishna said...

Yummy salad... it looks so refreshing..

plz visit.. http://from-a-girls-mind.blogspot.com